EMBnet Norway Services
The Norwegian EMBnet node provides a computational environment that provisions access to updated versions of various sequence databases, as well as software development tools. The node can also provide access to additional databases on request and specializes in the provision of consultancy help for server system setup, web portal and bioinformatics applications development.
Node Sequence Databases
To see which databases are used in the Node Servers, click here. If you can't find the database you need, email the Node manager.
UNIX command line Bioinformatics Interfaces
- EMBOSS suite: The flagship EMBnet toolkit. Login here by typing 'cnkeeper.uio.no' at the SSH/Server alias prompt. (requires registration)
- GCG suite: From Accelrys, a comprehensive bioinformatics suite for all kinds of bioinformatics computations. Please note that GCG is not actively maintained by Accelrys anymore. EMBnet Norway has obtained a perpetual license and runs the service for people that wish to continue using the suite. Login here by typing 'bioweb.uio.no' at the SSH/Server alias prompt. (requires registration)
- R/Bioconductor suite: R is a powerful software environment for statistical computing and graphics. We have loaded R with the bioconductor modules in a capable 8 core server with 32 Gigs of RAM, suitable to crunch large datasets. To access the service, login at dias here by typing 'cnkeeper.uio.no' at the SSH/Server alias prompt. Then SSH to cn2. (requires registration)
- MySQL / Postgres Relational Database Server:Many bioinformatics projects dictate the usage of Relational Databases in order to store, present and mine biological information. The setup and maintenance of a large relational database plus the access interfaces can be a major headache for scientific groups. EMBnet Norway provides dedicated managed high performance RDBMS servers supporting two of the most popular RDBMS engines: MySQL and PostgreSQL.
World Wide Web Bioinformatics Interfaces
- EMBnet Galaxy Server: The latest Galaxy environment with EMBOSS, NCBI BLAST+ and various NGS analysis applications on offer
- wEMBOSS: Versatile web interface for EMBOSS which provides the ability for sequence project management and private storage area (Requires registration).
- EMBnet Norway EMBOSS Explorer
Hosted server and portal setup
Data storage capabilities
Life scientists produce vast amounts of data and they often challenge the capabilities of modern desktops or mid-range workgroup servers. If you want a simple, reliable and scalable way to automate the process of backing up your sequences, documents, images and other type of research data, EMBnet Norway is able to help you organize and safeguard your work. Whether you need multi Tbyte storage or a way to automate the backup of your scientific instrument workstations, we can consult and provide the backup storage for you at an afforable price per Gigabyte of storage. All prices include a 24 hour incremental backup.
- For up to 200 Gigabytes of storage with off-site backup 8 NOK per Gigabyte (RAID0). Recommended for documents and data that can be recovered within one working day or for fast performance.
- For up to 200 Gigabytes of storage 16 NOK per Gigabyte in RAID 1 config (disk + off-site redundancy). Recommended for maximum uptime for critical data and faster recovery time (1-2 hours).
-Between 200 Gigabytes-1 Tbyte with off-site backup 5 NOK per Gigabyte (RAID0). Recommended for documents and data that can be recovered within one working day or for fast performance.
- Between 200 Gigabytes-1 Tbyte with disk and off-site redundancy (RAID 1) 10 NOK per Gigabyte. Recommended for maximum uptime for critical data and faster recovery time (3-4 hours).
- For multi-Tbyte storage (1-50 Tbytes) prices please get in touch, as building large filesystems requires an investigation of various parameters.